OYAP has many benefits for participating students. The program can:
• provide a head start towards a chosen career,
• ease the transition from school to work,
• increase opportunities for post secondary training and employment,
• earn work experience hours in addition to secondary school credits,
• develop general and specialized employability skills,
• develop an understanding of employer expectations, and/or
• help the student receive training and employment opportunities within this region.
During a student’s co-operative education placement the following process will occur in order to have a student successfully registered for OYAP:
• an OYAP application form, showing both student and employer consent, will be completed by the co-op teacher and sent to the OYAP office,
• a copy of the application will then be forwarded to the appropriate MTCU Apprenticeship office, then
• a Training Consultant from the MTCU will contact the employer/ sponsor to establish a registration date. The consultant, employer/ sponsor, student and parent (if student is under 18) must be present at the time of the registration.
For more information on how to register as an OYAP student contact your school Cooperative Education Department or the OYAP office.
For information on financial assistance programs click here.